Move over Hollywood Boulevard! This week Manchester unveiled their new Hollywood inspired ‘Walk of Fame’ which features the names of 20 idolised Mancunians stamped on the pavements of Jack Rosenthal Street in order to celebrate the opening of a new cocktail bar, The Liquor Store.
The quirky bar has been situated on the corner of Blackfriars Street since 2012 and recently won the ‘best city centre bar’ in the Eat, drink, sleep awards. With its second venue now opening on First Street, organisers opted out of the stereotypical red carpet party and decided to get the people of Manchester involved with the launch.
According to Manchester Evening News, Liquor Store co-owner Doug Waldron says, “It seemed fitting to open our new bar by celebrating some of the city’s most prolific stars“.
Amongst the 20 local icons are several musical heroes including Oasis brothers Noel and Liam Gallagher, Bez from Happy Mondays and former Smiths frontman Morrissey.
The ‘Star Walk’ also features the likes of British Suffragette Emmeline Pankhurst, professional stargazer Brian Cox, Manchester United football legend Paul Scholes along with Tony Warren, the writer and creator of Coronation Street.
The full list of stars as it follows (in no particular order):
- Noel Gallagher (Oasis singer/ Song writer)
- Liam Gallagher (Oasis singer/ Song writer)
- Morrissey (Lead singer, The Smiths)
- Ian Brown (Lead singer, Stone Roses)
- Ian Curtis (Lead singer, Joy Division)
- Bez (Happy Mondays)
- Mick Hucknall (Lead singer, Simply Red)
- Paul Scholes (Manchester United and England footballer)
- Brian Cox (Physicist)
- Maxine Peake (Actor)
- Tony Warren (Writer/ creator of Coronation Street)
- Lemn Sissay (Author/ Broadcaster)
- John Thaw (Actor)
- Caroline Aherne (Writer/Comedian)
- Dame Sarah Storey (Paralympic gold medalist)
- L S Lowry (Artist)
- Danny Boyle (Film director)
- Tony Wilson (Record label owner/ nightclub manager)
- Emmeline Pankhurst (Political activist)
- Les Dawson (Comedian/actor)
Unfortunately, the Hollywood glitz and glamour is only temporary, so if you’re wanting plenty of selfies, make sure to head down to Jack Rosenthal Street before Monday 10th October and upload your pictures on social media using #StarWalkMCR
The new venue will be ‘a vintage Los Angeles liquor store with a huge Manchester influence’, brought to life by the bars soundtrack featuring many of Manchester’s favourite rock ‘n’ roll classics. This will also be accompanied by the stylish interior of the feature walls dedicated to many of the local idols honoured on the ‘Walk of Fame’. The grand opening on the 8th October will showcase the true Mancunian spirit we all know and love.
Want to attend the opening party? Visit theliquorstore.co.uk to register your details.
If not, who would you like to see? Leave a comment or give us a tweet @daniellemchugh9